Welcome to the site for Bethia United Methodist Church. Located on Winterpock Road in Chesterfield County, Virginia, our church has served as a vital spiritual resource for the community for over 130 years. Through the leadership of our current and past pastors and our church family throughout the past 130 years and today, Bethia remains filled with the Holy Spirit and love for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
History of Bethia
Today, as the Bethia United Methodist Church family stands on the brink of great things, we are inspired with the records of the past and our hopes for a fruitful future. In the last quarter of the 19th century, the area of western Chesterfield County at the present intersection of Beach and Winterpock Roads was a thriving community of coal mines, farms, sawmills and railroads. In 1885 a letter was sent to Rev. H.G. Cowan, a minister serving the Hallsborough Charge (located in the present vicinity of Midlothian Turnpike and Huguenot Road), requesting that he help several families form a Methodist Protestant Church in the Winterpock area.
On November 16, 1886, Rev. Cowan and the Rev. S. C. Orhum formally organized the Bethia Methodist Protestant Church. In March, 2010, Bethia opened its doors to a brand new social hall, gymnasium, state of the art kitchen and two floors of classrooms and meeting space. Progress is our legacy and with God’s help, we will approach future expansion (sanctuary) projects with courage, trusting in the One who has brought us this far!